RI.gov R.I. Government Agencies| Tranparency Portal | Privacy Policy|

RIDOTNews on Twitter

Highway Cameras

Live Traffic Cameras

Browse more than 100 traffic cameras in either Map View or Cams View

Travel Times

Traffic site logo

RIDOT posts travel times on electronic messages boards on I-95 and I-195. You also can check the times on-line before hitting the road.

More Travel Tools

RIDOT has several useful web pages for learning about roadwork, crashes or special events that might delay motorists:

- Travel Advisories
- Congestion Mapping
- 511
- 1630 AM
- Community updates
- Detour Maps
- Parades & Events

RIDOT cannot guarantee the accuracy of third-party translations

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where is the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)?

    In Rhode Island, the Department of Transportation and the Division of Motor Vehicles are completely separate departments of state government. The Division of Motor Vehicles has a website on which DMV information can be found.

    If your question concerns auto registration, vehicle titles, insurance requirements, financial responsibility, accident reports, automobile dealers' license and regulation, disability plates, driver's licenses and renewals, handicapped plates, learner's permit and first license, license examinations, license suspension/reinstatement, oversize permits, plates, road test, safety and emission control, motor vehicle sales tax, school bus safety, or commercial drivers' licenses, go to the DMV Web site.

    If your question concerns emissions and safety inspections, please visit the Rhode Island Inspections Page.

    If your question concerns driver's education in Rhode Island please visit the CCRI Driver's Education Page.

  • How do I file a damage claim with the State for hitting a pothole or something else?

    Click here for detailed information regarding damage claims. The Department’s Highway and Bridge Maintenance Claims Section also provides detailed instructions on filing a claim through its automated, 24 hour Claims Line at 734-4817.

    Timeliness is important - Notice of a pothole claim must be postmarked or received within 7 days of the incident.

  • Why does RIDOT replace mailboxes when resurfacing roads?

    When RIDOT rebuilds or resurfaces a road, the Department is required to replace mailboxes along roads in accordance with Federal regulations. New mailboxes have safety features that reduce the potential of the box or pieces of the box from becoming airborne projectiles when stuck by a vehicle. The post is designed to fold flat when hit, but remain attached to the ground. The mounting plate, which secures the box to the post, is of a non-breakaway design.

    The mounting plate is designed to accommodate any mailbox marked as approved by the U.S. Post Office. RIDOT replaces the mailbox with a standard, sturdy metal box. The cost incurred by the Department covers all materials, including the post and box, as well as the labor to install them.

  • What are the primary mailing addresses and phone numbers for RIDOT?

    RIDOT Headquarters
    Two Capitol Hill
    Providence, RI 02903

    (Telephone 401 222-2481)

    RIDOT Maintenance Headquarters
    360 Lincoln Ave.,
    Warwick RI 02888-3030
    (Telephone 401 222-2378)

  • Visit RIDOT's Phone Directory for more

  • Is the Pell Newport Bridge still accepting tokens?

    No. E-ZPass is fully up and running in every lane on the Newport/Pell Bridge, which is owned and operated by the Rhode Island Turnpike & Bridge Authority (RITBA). Tokens are no longer being sold and are not accepted in the toll lanes. Use of an E-ZPass transponder for Rhode Island residents and frequent users of the bridge affords significant savings. RITBA also maintains a Frequently Asked Questions page regarding E-ZPass. Sign up online or visit one of the following locations:

    RITBA Administration Office:
    Monday through Friday
    8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

    E-ZPass Office
    (Located adjacent to the RITBA Office)
    Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    Saturday, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.

  • Where can I find the traffic count on a certain state road?
    RIDOT posts its popular "Traffic Flow" map online at http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/gis/maps/sm02.pdf. Once you have the map open, use the Acrobat Reader tools to zoom and pan the map to find the location you are seeking.

  • Can I get free state maps from the RIDOT?

    pothole picture    The distribution of free Rhode Island road maps is handled by the Rhode Island Tourism Department's Visit Rhode Island website and click the “Get a Free Travel Guide” button on the left. Please contact them toll free 24 hours a day at (800) 556-2484 or send an email to visitrhodeisland@riedc.com.

    You can download an electronic version here in either an JPG or PDF format.

    RIDOT does offer digital and print versions of all Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Maps. Available maps include state highway maps, traffic flow, and area maps. A complete list is available at the GIS Digital Maps page.

  • Where are the Park & Ride Facillities?
    Click here for a list of all Park & Ride facilities

  • Who can I contact with questions regarding utility permits?
    All inquiries about utility permits are handled by the Transportation Development section. They can be contacted at (401) 222-2482 ext. 4820.

  • Where can I find a list of all posted bridges in the state of Rhode Island?
    Posted bridges are available in the engineering section of our site. They are available via a PDF map or listed in table form.

  • What is the mission of the Rhode Island Department of Transportation?
    The mission of the Rhode Island Department of Transportation is stated here.

  • Where does the Rhode Island Department of Transportation get its funding?
    In 2012, President Barack Obama signed into law a two-year, $105 billion transportation bill called MAP-21 (Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act).

  • How can I request to have tree limbs trimmed from around my power lines?
    This service is not provided by the Rhode Island DOT. Please contact the power company that services your area and they will be able to help you.

  • Can the RIDOT get me a truck driver's health card?
    No, this process is handled by Rhode Island Trucker Owner's Association. Please call them for more details at 401-729-5210.

  • Where can I get a Hoisting Engineer/Heavy Lifter's License?
    This is not handled by RIDOT. Please contact the Rhode Island Department of Labor at (401) 462-1860 or (401) 243-9100 for more information.

  • How can I request to have roads or crosswalks re-striped?
    For requests for repainting of crosswalks and re-striping of roads please contact Highway and Bridge Maintenance at (401) 222-2378 extension 4881.

  • How can I get an oversized load permit?
    These permits are not handled by the Rhode Island DOT. To get a permit please contact the Rhode Island DMV at (401) 462-5745.

  • Where can I get a DOT Health Card?
    These Federally mandated cards for drug testing are available through the R.I. Trucking Association. You can reach them at (401) 729-5210.

  • What are those W3R signs all over Rhode Island?
    rochambeau symbol
    The symbol seen at left marks the historic Washington Rochambeau Revolutonary Route through Rhode Island. For more information, click here.