Open Records Requests
RIDOT had developed a streamlined process to fulfill public records requests.
While not required, filling out and submitting our Open Records Request Form will allow you to clearly indicate the documents you are seeking while helping us fulfill your request as quickly as possible.
For those wishing to otherwise submit their written request without using the form, please provide:
- Your contact information
- Title of the document(s) requested to be inspected or copied
- A general description of the subject matter of the document(s)
- (If known), the name and title of person at RIDOT having custody of requested document(s)
Please fax your request to (401) 222-4226 or mail to:
Office of Legal Counsel
Rhode Island Department of Transportation
Two Capitol Hill
Providence, RI 02903
Please note: Those requesting copies of any documents may be assessed a fee including an hourly charge for searching and copying as provided by the Access to Public Records Act.
If you are interested in purchasing, leasing or licensing property owned by the R.I. Department of Transportation, submit your inquiry to DOT.Property@dot.ri.gov. The following information must be submitted with all inquiries regarding RIDOT owned property:
- A written description of the property which includes the street address, location and square footage of the property, as well as a survey, plat map or other graphic which clearly delineates the size and location of the property.
- A copy of the deed, properly recorded in the city or town in which the property is located, evidencing the applicant's ownership of the adjacent property, if applicable.
- A description of any litigation concerning this property, including case caption and court docket number.
- If applicant is a corporate or business entity, a certificate of good standing from the Secretary of State's office from the State of Rhode Island or other state in which the company or corporate entity is authorized to conduct business.
- If applicant is a corporate or business entity, a signed, RIDOT-approved certificate of authority, which includes the corporate resolution, if applicable, demonstrating the individual's power to legally bind the company or corporate entity.
- Certificate or letter of good standing from the State Tax Administrator demonstrating the applicant's compliance with all applicable state tax laws and regulations.
- Certificate of good standing from the Internal Revenue Service evidencing applicant's compliance with all applicable federal tax laws and regulations.
- (For leases and licenses only.) Written certification from the R.I. Office of Attorney General that the applicant has no criminal record.
- A certificate of insurance issued by an insurance company licensed to conduct business in the state of Rhode Island and naming the State of Rhode Island Department of Transportation.
- A written statement, signed and dated by the proponent of the license or lease, stating the intended purpose of the license or lease
Before any RIDOT-owned property is sold, the Department must perform an internal review process of whether the property is needed for state highway purposes which can take several months. If the department determines the subject property is not needed for highway purposes, any sale of this property would be subject to a public process in accordance with Title 37 of the R.I. General Laws.